Only 15% of people who are prospects are satisfied with their experience over the phone. What does that mean for telemarketing and professional cold callers in the UK? It means there is plenty of room for growth.
The first impression you leave with your prospects can make or break their opinion of your business. And most people only make a purchase after 12 months of hearing from your company for the first time. That means that the first time you connect with them, whether from UK telemarketing companies you use or from your team directly, you have to be on point with your messaging.
Your job is to make that first call more enjoyable for your prospect. Aside from natural charm and good conversational skills, you can make a good first impression on your prospects with a few simple tried and true practices that all good cold-calling companies in the UK use to build a good connection.
Let’s discuss a few of these skills and how you can begin to implement them.
Start on the Right Foot
Every time you connect with a prospect for the first time they develop an opinion about your business. Whether or not they buy from you will likely be determined within that first phone call. It’s obviously crucial that you capture their attention and interest within that first 30 seconds or so.
What to Avoid
- Being pushy—No one likes to talk to a pushy salesperson. Stay calm and relaxed throughout the call to give off the impression you want their business, but not too much.
- Lie or bend facts—Eventually, you’re disingenuousness will catch up with you. Don’t get caught in a lie because you wanted to make a sale.
- Be rude—this one should go without saying, but even being rude to the gatekeeper could cost you a prospect. Kindness and a friendly approach to everyone will get you far.
What To Do
- Be polite—Always be polite no matter who is on the other side of the call. It can get you the results you want.
- Get informed before you call—Successful telemarketing companies in the UK know that their success lies much in their ability to understand the market they’re working. Get informed before you make your call if you want to make a great first impression.
- Be personable, but not too much—Ask questions about how the person is and listen with genuine interest. People can tell when you’re being genuine, so plan accordingly.
Body Language Is Out—Here’s What You Can Do
Body language often dictates our communication and interactions with people. Unfortunately, when we are on the phone we cannot use body language in our favor. However, there are some things you can do verbally to make up for the difference.
Experienced and skillful telemarketers know how to use the telephone to their advantage and how to convey their message to their prospect on the other end of the call. Their goal is to create a dialogue that leaves a great impression. One that makes the prospect feel comfortable opening up and making an emotional connection.
Interestingly, it still does matter how telemarketers use their body during their phone calls. For example, standing up straight and using power poses before making a phone call helps them appear more confident and in control of the conversation. This translates well, even over telephone communication. By using the body correctly, they can make their voice sound more approachable.
Focus on the Person, not the Business
This is particularly true if you are advertising to a business. Professional cold callers in the UK now that scripted phone calls are far from the best strategy. They can put people off and sound very robotic.
Instead of using a generic sales pitch, be sure to use a comfortable, relaxed and conversational approach. The person you’re speaking to is far more likely to remember you if you take that approach instead of a cut and paste sales script they hear 10 times a day.
Remember that the people you’re talking to are individuals, not businesses. They have busy lives, are often stressed and under pressure, and simply don’t have time for useless conversations.
Make a good first impression by focusing your attention on the person you’re talking to in the present and don’t use a script to make the connection.
How We Can Help
At Ethicall, we are among the top cold-calling companies in the UK and know how to carefully provide an excellent first impression for your company. If you want to turn prospects into leads, then contact our team today. We’re happy to get you the desired outcome.